Thursday, August 7, 2008

Emails from the (somewhat) famous

I have, on occasion, sent email to moderately famous people. I know, it sounds a bit like writing letters to a movie star.

Last week, I sent an email to The New York Times personal tech columnist David Pogue detailing my experiences with Cuil. Pogue is a great writer known for his good-natured, dorky sense of humor. I figured that the story would amuse him. He replied:

weird!
---
David Pogue
Tech Columnist, The New York Times
www.davidpogue.com
www.missingmanuals.com

He’s probably the kind of guy who responds to all of his email.

Earlier this semester, my International Political Economy professor said that Robert Gilpin established the hegemonic stability theory and invented the Peanut M&M. This fact tickled me--maybe I couldn’t decide which achievement was greater--so I sent him an email for confirmation.

I understand that Raymond Vernon, associated until his death some years ago with Harvard University, was the originator. RGG

I didn’t have the heart to tell my prof that he was wrong.

In high school, I took an Intro to Psychology class that I loathed. My teacher mainly used a video lecture series by Philip Zimbardo, the psychologist best known for the Stanford Prison Experiment. His videos were pretty tacky, and since I was in high school, I thought it would be hilarious to send him an email. My sarcasm-drenched message “complimented” Zimbardo’s lectures and talked about the textbook we were using in class.

His response:

kevin
thanks for your supportive note
Makes me glad I did that series

Regards to your teacher

But your teacher should be using one of my textbooks which are both great
Psychology and Life, 17th ed, Allyn & Bacon Pub
or
Core Concepts in Psychology, 5th ed. Allyn & Bacon.
Ciao,
Phil Zimbardo

I bet Stanley Milgram would never be arrogant enough to recommend his own textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment